We love to write about recess! Awareness is key to driving change efforts.
- McNamara, L. and Sahlberg, P.(2020). Kids will need recess more than ever when returning to school post-coronavirus.The Conversation Canada. May 31, 2020. Over 75,000 reads so far.
- McNamara, L., London, R., Ramstetter, C., Baines, E., Beresin, A., Claassen, J., Doyle, W., Hyndman, B., Jarrett, O., Massey,W., Rhea, D. (2020). School re-opening? Make sure children have time for daily recess. Global Recess Alliance.
- McNamara, Brussoni, Welsh, & Zakaria (2019). The Recess Report: Connecting School Engagement with Academic Success. The Register. Ontario Principals' Council, p. 26-31.
- McNamara, L., Forsythe-Sells, L., and Battagli, C. (2020). Why recess and social connectedness matters - now more than ever. Canadian Association of School System Administrators.
- Lodewyk, McNamara, Sullivan. Associations between Elementary Students’ Victimization, Peer Belonging, Affect, Physical Activity, and Enjoyment by Gender During Recess. 2019 Canadian Journal of School Psychology.
- Lodewyk & McNamara. A mixed-methods study of children's recess enjoyment, affect, and preferences during recess. 2019 Journal of Teaching In Physical Education.
- McNamara & Walker "It is just too fun to explain: A qualitative analysis of The Recess Project in seven lower-socioeconomic elementary schools." 2018 Canadian Journal of Action Research.
- McNamara et al The influence of a recess intervention on children’s sense of belonging and enjoyment. 2018 Journal of Contemporary Issues in Education.
- McNamara et al Recess in elementary school: A study of belongingness, affect, and victimization on the playground. 2018 Children and Schools.
- McNamara et al Recess and children with disabilities: A mixed-method pilot study. 2018 Disability and Health Journal.
- McNamara Recess: Supporting a Culture of Meaningful Play at School (in the Cambridge Handbook of Play) 2018 Cambridge University Press.
- McNamara et al School recess, social connectedness and health: A Canadian Perspective. 2015 Health Promotion International.
- McNamara et al Tales from the playground: Transforming the context of recess through collaborative action research. 2014 International Journal of Play.
- McNamara What's getting in the way of play? An analysis of the contextual factors that hinder recess in elementary schools. 2013 Canadian Journal of Action Research.
- Lodewyk & McNamara (in press). Victimization, Physical Activity, and Affective Outcomes During Recess in Students with and Without Disabilities. Alberta Journal of Education Research.
Follow Recess Project
Proudly powered by Weebly